All-terrain autos (ATV) supply journey for riders, however dad and mom want to pay attention to the risks when youngsters are concerned.
ATV accidents have skyrocketed at UC Davis Youngsters’s Hospital over the previous two years. So, pediatric trauma surgeons are sounding the alarm concerning the risks of ATVs for youngsters underneath 18 years of age.
Accidents in youngsters ages 6 to 17 greater than doubled, from 42 circumstances in 2019 to 103 circumstances in 2021. Youngsters comprised 62% of all ATV accidents seen within the emergency division.
In an amazing majority of circumstances, helmets and protecting gear will not be getting used.
“We all know that carrying a helmet and protecting gear when driving an ATV can do so much to forestall or at the very least scale back accidents,” mentioned Jonathan Kohler, pediatric trauma medical director at UC Davis Youngsters’s Hospital. “Of all of the individuals killed in ATV accidents in 2019, 95% weren’t carrying a helmet.”
Widespread ATV-related accidents embrace belly trauma, abrasions and lacerations, head and neck accidents or in excessive circumstances, demise.
The next are 12 security ideas to bear in mind whereas driving in an ATV to forestall unintentional accidents and accidents:
- Examine the state or native legal guidelines and rules the place you journey.
- Adults and kids ought to take a hands-on ATV security course from a professional teacher ATV Security Rider Course.
- All the time put on a helmet and different protecting gear, corresponding to eye safety, boots, gloves, lengthy pants and long-sleeved shirt.
- Helmets ought to be motorcycle-quality, not bicycle-quality.
- Youngsters ought to journey an ATV that’s proper for his or her measurement and age.
- Youngsters youthful than 6 years of age ought to by no means be on any ATV—both as a driver or passenger.
- ATVs are designed to be pushed solely on off-road terrain, not paved surfaces.
- All the time journey at a secure pace on a chosen ATV path.
- Solely journey throughout daylight.
- Know fundamental first support to deal with minor accidents and have the ability to get assist if in an emergency.
- By no means journey with extra passengers than there are seats. Most ATVs are designed for one rider and will solely have one particular person on them—the motive force.
- By no means journey inebriated or medicine.
“ATVs will not be toys. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that youngsters underneath 16 not journey ATVs in any respect. But when you are going to journey, following security suggestions like taking an ATV hands-on coaching course and carrying protecting gear can go a great distance in stopping harm,” mentioned Minna Wieck, pediatric trauma surgeon at UC Davis Youngsters’s Hospital.
For extra ideas, go to ATVsafety.org.
12 security tricks to scale back ATV harm (2022, Could 4)
retrieved 4 Could 2022
This doc is topic to copyright. Other than any honest dealing for the aim of personal research or analysis, no
half could also be reproduced with out the written permission. The content material is supplied for data functions solely.