Carbohydrates are the primary source of energy in our body and a body their strength to function properly. Well, it might be hard for you to believe that not all carbs are good for your body, so carbs are controversial. Some suggest that certain food items are right for you while others suggest otherwise.
So today in this article we are going to talk about what carbs are and how can categorize them into good carbs and bad carbs so that we only the consume the one that is good for our health and ignore the ones that cause us harm.
What are carbohydrates?
Carbohydrates are those nutritionist molecules that contain hydrogen, oxygen and carbon atoms at the same time. They are the primary source of energy is our body which is why carbs are one of the macro-nutrients that we must consume. If we want to split carbs into different categories that you will find three different calories of them which are?
- Sugars: These are the short chain carbohydrates such as glucose and fructose.
- Starches: These are the long chain carbohydrates that are made up of many glucose chains.
- Fiber: this is one of those nutrients that can’t be digested by the human body, but it is still useful as it aids the bacteria residing in the digestive system function properly.
Carbs that are found in our food items aren’t in their purest form. When we ingest them or body breaks them into a simple structure such as glucose to provide energy to the very cell of the body. If carbs stay in your body for long, they can be turned into fats which is why you must only consume an adequate amount of carbs on a daily basis.
Examples of good carbs and bad carbs
Carbs are dividing into two categories based on their effect on human health. Good carbs are those that are present in their natural form, commonly known as the whole carbs. Unlike the bad carbs, they are not stripped of their fibers which make them healthy. Bad carbs, on the other hand, are the one that is refined thus they are not suitable for your body.
- Vegetables: All vegetables contain carbs thus they are good for your health; therefore, you must consume them on a daily basis.
- Whole fruits: Whole fruits contain nuts that are not dried or store din cans thus they are fresh fruits like bananas, apple, etc.
- Legumes: Legumes are also rich in carbs which I why you must consume them as well.
- Nuts: if we talk about nuts then they are good carbs as well so consume Almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.
- Seeds: seeds like Chia seeds, pumpkin seeds are also a good type of carbs that are beneficial for your health.
- Whole grains: try to consume whole grains on a daily basis to maintain your carbs level
- Tubers: tubers like potatoes are also good carbs so include them in your diet.
- Sugary drinks: sugary drinks are high in sugar which can cause high blood sugar level an high blood pressure thus it is best to avoid them
- Fruit juices: Fruits juices also contain a lot of sugar thus prevent them as well.
- White bread: white bread is the refined form of brown bread and contains sugar thus is a bad carb.
- Pastries, cookies, and cakes: They are made up of sugars and refined wheat so avoiding them is your health.
- Candies and chocolates: candies and sweet chocolates contain the high amount of sugar thus are bad. You can go with the dark chocolate to satisfy your cravings.